The Palestinian village of Jub a-Dib lies southeast of Bethlehem in the West Bank. It was established in 1929 and is currently home to some 160 people. In the past, residents subsisted on farming and shepherding, but today the village relies mainly on young residents who work in Israel. In addition to homes, the village has a grocery store, a sewing shop, a mosque and a kindergarten. A mobile medical clinic visits the village once a week.
Israel does not deny the legality of the village but has never drawn up an outline plan for it, as with other Palestinian villages in Area C. Israel even rejected a plan prepared by the joint council of Jub a-Dib and the neighboring village of Za’tara. Since the 1980s, the residents of Jub a-Dib have filed several requests with the Civil Administration to hook the village up to the power grid. All were rejected on the grounds that the village does not have an outline plan.