Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:20
posted by Alexandra
We’ve discussed natural remedies for a number of ailments in other articles but we haven’t really touched on substitutions for specific medications. Today, we’re going to talk about some natural alternatives for common meds that you can use in a post-SHTF survival situation.
Just remember that “natural” doesn’t necessarily mean “safe.” Use these remedies with just as much care for dosage as you would standard chemical meds.
Aspirin, NSAIDs and Anti-Inflammatories
There are a few different reasons why you may take these meds; you may take it to relieve pain or as a blood thinner to reduce your odds of having a heart attack or stroke.
The problem is that aspirin and many NSAIDs damage the stomach lining, liver and kidneys. As a matter of fact, aspirin causes gastrointestinal bleeding and new research indicates that it may actually increase some people’s risk of having a heart attack or stroke. Aspirin taken long-term may also increase your risk of developing macular degeneration and cataracts by as much as 44%.
In any event, it may not be available in a survivalist situation so you need a natural alternative to aspirin if SHTF. Here are some alternatives:
- Natural vitamin E – 100 IUs of natural (not synthetic!) vitamin E is at least as effective as aspirin, according to some research.
- Ginkobiloba – ginko has been used for centuries to inhibit clotting and improve circulation
- Water – yes, it sounds like a cop-out but water is the best natural blood thinner there is.
Pain killers and anti-inflammatories:
- Devil’s claw – this has been used as an anti-inflammatory and pain killer for successful treatment of arthritis, tendonitis and muscle pain.
- Turmeric – used for pain and inflammation.
- Ginger – pain and inflammation
Statins, including Lipitor and Zocor, are used to lower cholesterol in order to avoid heart attacks and cardiovascular disease. There are many natural alternatives to these medications that you can use now and in the case of a survivalist, SHTF scenario.
- Red wine – the resveratrol and other antioxidants in red wine work well to keep cholesterol down.
- Olive oil (those omega-3’s again!)
- Fiber-rich foods such as oats and vegetables
- Dark chocolate
- Coconut oil and other medium-chain triglycerides instead of regular fats that can raise bad (LDL) cholesterol
Though high blood pressure can be genetic, it’s mostly a dietary issue.
However, once you develop it, it’s a life-threatening condition that requires daily treatment.
In addition to losing weight, there are some natural remedies that will work as natural blood pressure medications in a survivalist SHTF scenario.
- Increase potassium! Bananas, potatoes, tomato juice and coconut water are all high in potassium, which can help lower blood pressure.
- Coenzyme Q10 works well to lower blood pressure
- Foods containing magnesium and calcium
- REDUCE sodium intake. This directly affects your blood pressure!
Heart burn, acid reflux and stomach upset don’t have to plague you, even in a SHTF situation. When you’re making your survivalist list, include these natural alternatives to antacids.
- Almonds – they naturally reduce stomach acid. Take a handful of 15-20 and your heartburn will disappear in a half-hour or so.
- Aloe vera juice – long used to heal ulcers and soothe upset stomachs. Make sure that if you’re making your own, you follow proper procedure. Aloe is super-easy to grow.
- Apple cider vinegar – though it may sound counterproductive to throw acid on heartburn, ACV has been used forever to cure stomach ailments. Stir 2 tablespoons into a few ounces of water and drink it immediately following a meal.
- Apples – a slice of apple can reduce stomach acid and have you feeling better in 5 minutes or so.
- Baking soda – mix a teaspoon in a few ounce of water and drink. Don’t use it regularly though because it can increase sodium levels.
- Basil leaves – 2-3 will do the trick.
The list for natural antacids goes on and on but these are some of the best.
Though there is no real approved alternative treatment for type-2 diabetes, there are some interesting research studies taking place that suggest that the following may be effective in helping to control it in the future.
In a SHTF situation, an alternative treatment for diabetes may be necessary, though, so having these on hand certainly can’t hurt. Also, it should go without saying that any food that raises glucose levels should be eaten with extreme care.
- North American ginseng – may help with blood sugar control and glycosylated hemoglobin levels.
- Chromium – this essential trace mineral plays an important role in carbohydrate and fat metabolism and helps cells respond correctly to insulin.
- Magnesium – found naturally in green leafy veggies, nuts, seeds and grains. It’s an essential mineral for everything from blood sugar metabolism to sodium uptake.
- Cinnamon – studies are showing that as little as 1 gram or as much as 6 grams of cinnamon may improve blood glucose control in people with type-2 diabetes.
Many of these illnesses can be avoided by proper exercise and eating a healthy diet. In this case, an ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure because in a SHTF situation, it’s probably not going to be easy to find medications to keep you alive.
These herbs can help but the best way to prepare yourself to survive in a survivalist scenario is to be in the best shape that you can be!
Find out more about medical preparedness for long term survival on The Prepper’s Blueprint.
Photo sources: 1. 2, 3, 4.