By Robert Reich,
The same forces that are driving massive inequality between the top 1 percent and the rest of us are creating a vast generational wealth gap between baby boomers — my generation — and millennials.
Millennials aren’t teenagers anymore. They’re working hard, starting families and trying to build wealth. But as a generation, they’re way behind.
They’re deeper in debt, only half as likely to own a home, and more likely to live in poverty than their parents.
If we want to address their problems, we need to understand those problems.
Number one: Stagnant wages. Median wages grew by an average of 0.3% per year between 2007 and 2017, including the Great Recession – just as millennials were beginning their careers. Before that, between the mid-1980s and mid-1990s, wages grew at three times that rate.
Second: As wages have stagnated, the costs of essentials like housing and education have been going through the roof. Millennials own fewer homes, the most common way Americans have built wealth in the past. Education costs have soared. Adjusted for inflation, the average college education in 2018 cost nearly three times what it did in 1978.
Third: As a result of all of this, Debt. That expensive college education means that the average graduate carries a whopping $28,000 in student loan debt. As a generation, millennials are more than one trillion dollars in the red. In addition, the average young adult carries nearly $5,000 in credit card debt, and this number is growing.
Fourth: Millennials are finding it harder than previous generations to save for the future. Among Fortune 500 companies, only 81 sponsored a pension plan in 2017, that’s down from 288 twenty years ago. Employers are replacing pensions with essentially “do-it-yourself” savings plans.
All of this means that fewer millennials are entering the middle class than previous generations. Most have less than $1,000 in savings. Many young people today won’t be able to retire until 75, if at all.
If we don’t start trying to reduce this generational wealth gap — through policies like debt relief, accessible health insurance, paid family leave, affordable housing, and a more equitable tax code for renters — millions of young Americans will struggle to find financial security for the rest of their lives.
Disclaimer: We at Prepare for Change (PFC) bring you information that is not offered by the mainstream news, and therefore may seem controversial. The opinions, views, statements, and/or information we present are not necessarily promoted, endorsed, espoused, or agreed to by Prepare for Change, its leadership Council, members, those who work with PFC, or those who read its content. However, they are hopefully provocative. Please use discernment! Use logical thinking, your own intuition and your own connection with Source, Spirit and Natural Laws to help you determine what is true and what is not. By sharing information and seeding dialogue, it is our goal to raise consciousness and awareness of higher truths to free us from enslavement of the matrix in this material realm.
“You know if I continue this comment the more I realize we’re dumber then a box of rocks. It’s going to take benign alien intervention.”
That’s a good example of what I’m talking about. It’s the people’s fault, they’re too stupid, hand your power over to the government. One more time: buyer beware!
I may be wrong but it seems to me that Robert Reich is a cabal stooge. His recommendations sound good but in the end it always depends on how you do it, or what ulterior actions you take in the name of doing it. That’s how the left wing of the cabal moves its agenda–use great-sounding proposals to get everyone focused on the idea that the government needs to do it (not you yourself, inside yourself, using your divine powers of manifestation)–and then, once government has been given the power, screw everything up accidentally on purpose.
So, when it comes to RR’s information, buyer beware!
Everyone already know why. Stop reminding and do something about it. We’re not doing enough about it, we got to stop the freaking why we don’t. We’re not morons. The amount of people that are forcing us with Money, God, Religion, Aliens, Government, The rich are in lower numbers like 20% and by the way some aliens come here with their magic then become our gods. They together consistently ruin the rest of 80%. Who are in greater numbers? That’s why they want to reduce the numbers to 500 million. They are afraid, terrified of today’s 80%. It’s not about money, it’s about control.
Message to people should be more precise more to the point. Let’s start acting like we have some intellect control our own. You know if I continue this comment the more I realize we’re dumber then a box of rocks. It’s going to take benign alien intervention.